I’m busy installing a server for my dad’s home and need a Graphical User Interface (GUI) for him to manage the server. I decided to install Kubuntu on my Ubuntu Server that I’m testing in virtual box. We are planning on getting him a Raspberry Pi running RaspBMC and the choices are OpenMediaVault or Ubuntu server to be the media server hosting his media to be streamed from.
Still deciding which way to go but here is a short tutorial on how to get the GUI installed on an Ubuntu Server after you have finished installing the Ubuntu Server Operating System.
1. After the server has booted you need to logon with the user name and password you set in the Ubuntu installation.
2. Now update Ubuntu by running: sudo apt-get update
3. After the update has downloaded the needed packages and finished the installation run: sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop (this will take some time to download the packages and install Kubuntu)
4. After the installation run: sudo reboot
5. Now you will load into the GUI and Windows users should be quite comfortable to use Ubuntu
Here’s a video of the test installation: